The UNI Campanile was built in 1926 through donations from the student body. Since that time, student and professional carillonneurs have performed concerts for the student body and Cedar Valley community, cementing the Campanile's place as central to UNI history, image and culture.
The instrument in the campanile is called a carillon. UNI's carillon is one of few in Iowa, and even in the Midwest.
To recognize donations and significant people associated with the creation of the Campanile in the 1920s, 15 of the original bells of instrument are dedicated as follows:
- Bell 1 - C - President
- Bell 2 - D - Founders
- Bell 3 - E - Citizens of Cedar Falls
- Bell 4 - F - Schoolchildren of Iowa
- Bell 5 - F# - Faculty
- Bell 6 - G - Students and Alumni
- Bell 7 - A - Our Wartime Heroes
- Bell 8 - A# - Fathers and Mothers of Iowa
- Bell 9 - B - Teachers in the Common Schools
- Bell 10 - C - State Board of Education
- Bell 11 - C# - Musical Organizations
- Bell 12 - D - Dramatic Art
- Bell 13 - E - Literary Societies
- Bell 14 - F - Christian Organizations
- Bell 15 - G - Athletic Activities
In 1968, an additional 32 bells were added through a significant donation and fundraising campaign, bringing the total number of bells in the instrument to 47, which is the current number today.
More information can be found on the Rod Library Special Collections: